Friday, November 19, 2010

Christmas Decorations- Part 11

                                                        
"Many people have given religious meaning to the shape and form of the candy cane. It is said that its shape is like the letter “J” in Jesus’ name. It is also in the shape of the shepherds’ crook, symbolic of how Jesus, like the “Good Shepherd” watches over his children like little lambs. It is a hard candy, solid like a “rock”, the foundation of the Church. The flavor of peppermint is similar to another member of the mint family, hyssop. In the Old Testament hyssop was used for purification and sacrifice, and this is said to symbolize the purity of Jesus and the sacrifice he made.
Some say the white of the candy cane represents the purity of Jesus and his virgin birth. The bold red stripe represents God’s love. The three fine stripes are said by some to represent the Holy Trinity: the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit. Others say they represent the blood spilled at the beating Jesus received at the hands of the Roman soldiers.
When the practice of using Christmas trees to celebrate Christmas became popular in Europe the people there began making decorations for their trees. Many of the decorations were food items including cookies and candy. The predecesor of our modern candy cane appeared at about this time in the seventeenth century. These were straight, white sticks of sugar candy."


From the Kitchen...


Peppermint buttercream is sandwiched between homemade chocolate cookies...MMMmmmm! Can you say yum?
Click here for the directions.

Candy Cane Bark

Or what about this candy cane bark? 
I don't know about you, but this thing wouldn't last a day in my house. Find out how to make it here.


Candy Cane Cake

Please excuse me as I wipe up the drool...instructions here!

And last but not least...


When I first saw this picture, not gonna lie, my whole world just kinda stopped as I stared in awe. Pretty sure my lungs stopped breathing and I blew a few brain cells.
I just can't stop oooooing and awwwwing over this candy cane biscotti. 


Mom, if you're reading this...THIS is what I want for Christmas!
Learn how to make these heavenly treats here! (hint hint Mom)

Click on the image for instructions.

Free Christmas Crafts - Candy Cane Scarf


Holiday candy tree craft

Candy Cane Mouse


candy cane rimmed candle

I really hope you are enjoying these Christmas themed craft posts as much as I am. It's so much find to search the internet high and wide looking for the most unique ideas.
I would do more of my own tutorial, but being at school and dealing with the mono takes up all my time. Sometimes, as you know, I hardly have time to make these posts. I do spend about an hour or more on each one.

Anyway, as always, my school books are calling me away. 

Have a great night readers!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Don't be shy!