Wednesday, December 22, 2010

If it was as easy as taking a picture and...

Editing it....
Would I change what I look like?


Would YOU change what you look like?
We live in a world where looks are just about everything. Of course I understand the importance of a first impression, but why do I value what people think of me so much?
Isn't it enough that I'm creative, funny, adventurous, silly, smart (to a degree), and have so much love to give? Why do I feel like I have to make people like my outside before they'll even take the time to see my inside?


If I could the way I looked in an instant...would that change who I am inside? As much as I want the inside to shine brighter than my outside, I ask myself; does my appearance affect my character? Does it affect who I am?


I think it does. If I think that I look great, then I'll act more confident. If I know I look terrible, then I tend to stare at the ground as I walk and mumble around. So yes, my outside does affect my inside.
So if I could magically change all my "flaws", would that change me?


I would like to think that erasing all my flaws and drawing in new physical attributes in their place would make me reach every goal I've ever dreamed. I would imagine becoming the girl I've always wanted to be... But then again...
Would I become proud and walk past my dear friends because I can do better? Would I lose everything I've gained going through the experience of being mocked for my looks in school? Would all those quirks that Mike falls for still be there?


I don't think so. If I'm going to change, I want it to be a very long and gradual change. I want to grow with my changes. If they would happen all at once, I feel as though I would lose who I am. I would be this other pretty girl, but the rest of me would be gone. I would feel empty.
All those flaws and quirks are characteristics that my friends and family know and love me by.

So no...I will not entertain the idea any longer. As I grow as a person on the inside, so will my outside change accordingly. (Perhaps not as I would like best, but maybe its the best for me.)
I will love the way I look, just like my boyfriend, friends, and family do now.



2 comments:

  1. Sorry if this was slightly dramatic for your personal taste.
    I've just been thinking about all this and maybe somebody else has to. Maybe I was able to help them in a small way.
    And you might be like..."what's up with the hair?"...we'll I've always wanted red hair so that explains the ?? in your head!
    :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I appreciate you sharing your thoughts. As a young woman I was not pretty, but I was "cute". I was never satisfied with my looks and let them affect my self esteem. Now that I am older, married with grown kids and looking into the mirror to see a woman beyond her prime, I would gladly, joyfully take the "cute" I used to be! One thing I did discover along the way was that my looks couldn't find me love, only my heart could do that...

    ReplyDelete

Don't be shy!