Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Book Review: The Help


Well I was certainly a lucky lucky girl come this Christmas, because I got not just one but two copies of  The Help by Kathryn Stockett. 

I had been dying, I tell you, DYING to read this book.

This book has received several awards and honors, you may read about them here, and has won my admiration as well. 
The story is about a small town girl with big ambitions and humble maids who display strength and endurance. The year it around 1960 and we find our heroins in Jackson, Mississippi. 

They set out together on a seemingly impossible friendship and journey for change. If they are found out, who knows what harm will come to their reputation, job security, and lives.



I read this book book while traveling and it had me captivated by the very first page. If you enjoy reading books like To Kill a Mocking Bird, then this will become a favorite too.

Stockett makes me laugh, cry, and even cringe in some chapters. She holds me in suspense down to the very last page.  I couldn't put this book now. I drank in every word and often sat back to reflect on the characters and their sides of the story. 

I won't give anything away, but the ending was bittersweet. A lovely chapter that made me face reality...life isn't a fairy tale.


I would recommend this book to all of my readers. I'm not much of a writer, it's not hard to see, but I love to read well written stories.

No, I haven't seen the movie yet. I wanted to read the book for myself first, and then proceed to judging the movie on it's accuracy. I like to develop the characters in my own mind first. I love figuring out what I think they look like, what I think their house looks like. I don't need a movie screen to do it for me. My brain is creative enough.

So, Kathryn Stockett, congratulations on your best seller! I will be looking forward to more wonderful novels written by you. 


P.S. Have any of you read it? What did you think? Leave me a comment!

1 comment:

  1. Haven't read the book, but I've seen the movie. But...I find your review a little bit superficial. Why do you really like this book? And when you said it's about "maids" I think it is very crucial to add they are black maids cause this is the whole point of the story, segregation, racism etc. I think you can develop your review more without giving too much of the story, and give us a deeper opinion about it.

    ReplyDelete

Don't be shy!