Monday, September 3, 2012

Granny Square Cowl DIY: Part one

Happy Monday morning dear readers!

I hope that you are enjoying your long weekend like I am. In fact, I'm probably still snuggling in bed right now (I'm writing this on Sunday afternoon to be posted tomorrow). Lucky me! 

So it's been a very long time since I've come up with a new do-it-yourself project and my fingers have just been itching for that crochet hook. 


This granny square cowl project was inspired by a photo I found on Esty several months ago. 
I heart the colors Meredith chose for this cowl, and I could totally use this color combo in an outfit this week...


So since I'm positive that none of you are interesting in what I'll be wearing tomorrow, let's get started with step one. 


First, you need to make a bunch of granny squares. When I say a bunch I mean 22 or so. If you don't know how to do that, you can look up lots of tutorials online or check out my own handy dandy video over here!
I made my first granny square "layer" with a mustard yellow yarn and my second and third "layer" with a deep turquoise. The squares cane be made with whatever size hook you want and with as many "layers" as you want. 


Step two is to crochet all of your 22 granny squares into a nice loooooong and skinny rectangle. And if you're wondering how long your anorexic rectangle should be...


Your next step will be to connect your row of granny squares together to make a giant loop. (btw...don't make fun of my hippo hips)


Make sure that you don't twist your row of granny squares before connecting the ends of your row. You'll end up with a Möbius strip. It's some weird geometric/math puzzle thingy that you don't want in your crocheting projects. 


Anyways, that's it for part one. Start on those granny squares and I should have you all set up with part two by the time you've completed these steps. 

1 comment:

Don't be shy!