Sunday, October 21, 2012

Hands on Learning


My teacher tip today is a quote from one of the best elementary teachers ever...Miss Frizzle.

"Take chances, make mistakes, get messy. "

Get messy

One of the scariest things a mother can hear. Most kid's can't get messy and dirty at home. They don't really get chances to tear apart daisies to see how those petals are attached. They don't get build with those mini pumpkins bought during October. 

"You'll break it"
"That's a decoration"
"Don't get your clothes dirty"

Well...at preschool... we have what I call "Controlled Chaos".



If you would have walked into my classroom last Friday, you would have become overwhelmed by the sweet smell of daisies. Then you would hear the happy chatter of children making "flower soup". 


It was so exciting to see what the kids were doing with the daisies.
I thought that they would just peel them apart, get bored, and walk away.
Before I knew it, I had little ones bringing toys from different stations to the flower table.

My kids were soon playing "house" and "chef" and learning science all at the same time! They play went on for an hour. 

 I had a nice vacuuming job at the end of the day, but it was totally worth it!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Don't be shy!