Saturday, March 9, 2013

What it is is beautiful


This Lego add from 1981 really touched my heart. You would have to be blind to miss the pride in her face. What she's made is beautiful in her eyes.

As a preschool teacher, I try to give kids credit when credit is due. My classroom is not an "everyone gets a trophy" classroom. We play elimination games just to get used to the idea the losing is okay.

 When I was a kid, we had to work hard and sometimes I still didn't get the recognition that I deserved. That drove me to work even harder and push myself further. 

I love kneeling down next to one of my students when they truly have put all of their effort into a project. Even if it's as simple as a tower of Legos. If I saw the concentration and drive in their eyes as they worked, they've earn recognition and praise.

What she's made is beautiful in her eyes, and it's beautiful in my eyes too.

1 comment:

  1. It is a joy to be able to encourage a child by praising their work. I try to look for something to compliment that the children at school are doing, especially the problem child.

    ReplyDelete

Don't be shy!